- Product Manual
- SMS technology
- Installation Guide
- User Guide
- Developers Guide
- Examples and Solutions
- SMS FAQ
- 1.1 SMS basics
- 1.2 Why is SMS so successful?
- 1.3 Example applications of SMS messaging
- 1.4 SMS number formats
- 1.5 Mobile message types
- 1.6 SMSC
- 1.7 SMS Gateway
- 1.8 Two way SMS systems
- 2.1 Prerequisites
- 2.2 Network requirements
- 2.3 General Information
- 2.4 Message routing
- 2.5 Message types
- 2.6 Delivery reports
- 3.1 GSM modem
- 3.2 SMPP
- 3.3 CIMD2
- 3.4 UCP/EMI
- 3.5 HTTP
- 3.6 SMTP
- 4.1 API
- 4.2 SQL to SMS
- 4.3 HTTP to SMS
- 4.4 E-mail to SMS
- 4.5 Autoreply database
- 5.1 Performance
- 5.2 Logging
- 5.3 Errors
- 5.4 Reporting
- 6.1 Trial version
- 6.2 Licensing
- Feature list
- Commercial Information
1. SMS technology
1.1 SMS basics
- What is SMS?
- Which standardization body is responsible for the SMS standard?
- Why use SMS?
- Is it possible to send a single message to multiplre recipients?
- How can I send longer text? What are concatenated SMS messages?
- What happens if an SMS message is sent to a mobile phone that is offline?
- What is SM-MT (short message - mobile terminated)?
- What is SM-MO (short message - mobile originated)?
- What are the classes of SM-MT (mobile terminated) messages?
1.2 Why is SMS so successful?
- What makes this technology so successful?
- Is this technology successful, because SMS messages can be sent and read at any time?
- Is the SMS technology successful, because it is more polite?
- Is the SMS technology successful, because it is global?
- Is the SMS technology successful, because it can be used by wireless applications?
1.3 Example applications of SMS messaging
- What applications can SMS messaging be used for?
- What is Person-to-Person Text Messaging?
- What is Information Provision?
- SMS messaging for Alerts and Notifications?
1.4 SMS number formats
- What kind of number formats are available for SMS?
- What is a short code?
- What is the local number format?
- What is international number format?
- What is a long code number?
- What is the alphanumeric number format?
1.5 Mobile message types
- What kind of messages can I send to a mobile device?
- What kind of SMS message types are available?
- What is an EMS?
- What is an MMS?
- What kind of attachments can I use in an MMS?
- Is it possible to push SyncML setting via your SMS sever to mobile phones?
- What is an SMSC?
- Can I operate my own SMSC?
- Do I have to pay for SMS messages if I operate my own SMSC?
- Can I connect to the SMSC of a mobile network operator (MNO)?
- Can I connect to the SMSC of a mobile network operator through SS7?
- Is there anyway using any ozeki product to do HLR Lookup to see if numbers exist before sending text?
1.7 SMS Gateway
- What is an SMS Gateway?
- How does an SMS gateway communicate with the mobile network?
- Who are using SMS Gateways?
- What other functionalities are provided by an SMS gateway?
- Do I have to pay for SMS if I have my own SMS Gateway?
1.8 Two way SMS systems
- What is a two way SMS system?
- When a mobile user replies to my SMS, can I tell which message did he originally reply to?
- Can I use keywords to match replies to submitted messages?
- Can I use long codes to match replies to submitted messages?
- Are there any threats with autoresponding systems?
- Can I query a database and return data in a response SMS?
- Can I return a webpage if I receive a certain keyword?
2. Installation and configuration
- What is the minimum hardware requirement for the PC I will use to run the software?
- What is the recommended hardware for the PC I will use to run the software?
- What is the recommended Operating System?
- Does Ozeki NG support 64bit operating systems?
- What are the software requirements?
- Is there any additional software required?
- Do I need a dedicated server?
- Can I run it in my office, or do I need to place it into a server hosting facility?
- Does the software require a database server? Does it require any database connectivity drivers, such as ODBC drivers?
- Can I use Ozeki NG and Ozeki Message Server 6 on the same computer with the same GSM modem at the same time?
- Can I use Ozeki NG and Ozeki Message Server 6 on the same computer with two modems?
- Will the software run on a Virtual Machine, such as VMWare, Microsoft Virtual PC?
- Which phone models/GSM modems do you recommend?
2.2 Network requirements
- Do I need Internet connection to operate Ozeki NG SMS Gateway?
- Do I need a public IP address?
- Do I need a fix IP address for the SMS Gateway?
- Can I use a leased line connect to my mobile operator, instead of an Internet connection?
- How much bandwidth do I need on my Internet connection?
- Can I use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection?
- My Internet connection is not reliable. Will this be a problem?
- Can I use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection?
- What kind of communication ports and protocols are used? Should I open any ports on my firewall?
- Does the SMS gateway require a fixed IP address or is there any way dynamic address can be used and how?
- Ozeki NG SMS Gateway uses the http://127.0.0.1:9501 address. Can I change this to my IP address?
2.3 General information
- Does the software run as a Windows Service?
- The software runs as a windows service by default. Is there a way to run it as an application?
- What kind of user interface is available in the software?
- What is the default username and password?
- Can I access the web based user interface remotely?
2.4 Message routing
- What is SMS routing?
- What is outbound SMS routing and how can I use it?
- What is inbound SMS routing and how can I use it?
- How can I send SMS messages reliably to different global destinations?
- Is there any way I can tell if an incoming SMS message is a reply to my previously sent SMS?
- Can I change message parameters during routing?
- How can I reject certain messages starting with a specified telephone number prefix?
- How can I change the recipient field to a fixed mobile number so all texts submitted go to that mobile?
- What happens if the recipient number does not exists?
- What happend if the recipient has switched off his mobile?
2.5 Message types
2.6 Delivery reports
- What is a delivery report?
- Can I adjust how long a message is stored in the SMSC?
- How does Ozeki NG SMS Gateway handle delivery reports?
- How does Ozeki NG SMS Gateway handle delivery reports for multipart SMS messages?
- Why are my delivery reports dropped?
- What can I see in the delivery report registry GUI?
- Can I change the time setting after which messages that got no delivery report are removed from the list?
- How can I reset the delivery report registry queue?
- The delivery report (onMessageDeliveryFailed) is retrieved for every failed attempt or is just retrieved when the max number of tries is reached?
- Is it possible to store the incoming SMS delivery reports into SQL?
- If I send SMS from a GSM modem, the GSM protocol allows a max. number of 256 callback id's for delivery reports. How do you distinguish delivery reports that have the same id.
- Delivery reports are coming in as SMS messages to my system. When I configure my connection for sending only, will it dismiss my delivery reports?
- How does the inbound routing table effect the incoming delivery reports?
3. SMS service provider (SMSC) connectivity
3.1 GSM Modem
- What is a GSM modem?
- What GSM modem do you suggest for using with Ozeki NG SMS Gateway?
- Can I install multiple modems in Ozeki NG?
- Can I connect a GSM modem over IP to the software?
- Can I change the sender phone number if I use a GSM Modem?
- Can I send SMS messages through more than one service providers?
- Is your gateway fully compatible with Huawei hardware SMSCs?
- When I try to submit a message, I receive an error. What can be the reason?
- I can send SMS, but I cannot receive with my modem. Why?
- What is an SMPP connection?
- How can I use SMPP to send/receive SMS messages?
- What kind of parameters do I need to connect to an SMPP service provider?
- What is an SMPP transmitter connection?
- What is an SMPP receiver connection?
- What is an SMPP transceiver connection?
- Can I become an SMPP service provider
- Which SMPP version is the most common?
- What is SIM hosting and how is it related to SMPP?
- Can I become a SIM hosting provider?
- Can I define a unique service type parameter for each message?
3.3 IP SMS protocols
- What is an CIMD2 connection?
- What is an UCP/EMI connection?
- What is an HTTP connection?
- What is an SMTP connection?
4. SMS Application connectivity (APIs)
4.2 SQL to SMS
- What is an SQL database?
- Can I save incoming SMS messages (sender address, message text, timestamp) in a database server (MySQL/MSSQL)?
- We would like to specify different sender mobile numbers for outgoing messages. Is it possible to do it in the SQL tables to assign the sender mobile number?
- I would like to use one database for many "database users". Is this possible?
4.3 HTTP to SMS
- If I uninstall a user named "AAA" then try to create a new user also named "AAA" the system tells me "AAA" already exists, even if it has been uninstalled. How do I delete these uninstalled users definitively?
- Why changes in the physical configuration files are not reflected in the web Admin interface?
- Why sometimes do I get a message from my HTTP client user that says it could not resolve the name corresponding to the URL it is calling?
4.4 E-mail to SMS
- Can I forward a single e-mail to many SMS numbers?
- Can I forward an incoming SMS to many e-mail addresses?
- Can the software download e-mails from POP3 accounts and forward them as SMS messages?
- Does the software have escalation capability? In more detail, can we create a script by a specific keyword in incoming email with the following rule: "Forward SMS to 1st Number, wait for the response within specific time: 3 minutes. If there is no response, forward SMS to 2nd Number, wait for the Response within specific time: 3 minutes, ... up to 10 numbers."?
- Does the software support secure SSL based POP3 connections for downloading e-mail?
- Does the software support Secure SSL based SMTP connections?
- If I create 500 e-mail to SMS Accounts and Ozeki is set to pick up e-mail from 500 different POP3 e-mail accounts (email@example.com) every 90 seconds - What will be the impact on the system?
- If my SMTP server requires authentication, can I specify my SMTP username and password?
- Is the following number format supported: +firstname.lastname@example.org?
- Is the software able to get email (Pop3) and send (SMTP) with clear from headers/footers/attachments codes only first 160 characters that will send to SMS?
- Is there filtering capability by specific keyword on incoming email?
- Is there filtering capability by specific keyword on incoming SMS?
- When the built in SMTP server is used, which user account will send the messages?
5. Maintenance and management
- How can I configure an SMS gateway for best performance?
- How can I handle unreliable service provider connections?
- How can I increase the capacity of an IP-SMS service provider connection?
- How can I increase the reliability of this SMS gateway?
- Can I set credit limits for each client / each user?
- How do you set daily and monthly message throughput limits for SMPP Clients and other users (SQL user, E-mail users, etc.)?
- If you have 1000 SMPP Clients or other users (SQL users, E-mail users) connected, how do you control the various message queues? That is, how many messages to send from each queue in turn?
- Does your gateway support clustering over multiple servers and how does it occur?
- What is the scalability schema of the software?
- I have a database user in the system, and the logging is slow at times, the events appear in the log with some delay. Why? How can I fix this issue?
- What is the recommended database server for SQL logging?
- Any configuration lost after making any restarts? What can I do about this?
- There are errors with the error code 1365 in the log, and the messages cannot be sent. Why?
- Can I create reports and statistics from the data of sent messages?
- Can I maintain a log of all sent and received messages in an SQL Server?
- Does the software provide a way that limits the maximum number of messages a user can send?
6. Commercial questions
6.1 Trial version
- Is there any test account or trial software?
- What are the differences between the trial and full versions?
- Why does the software still send messages with the text "Ozeki SMS Trial" despite I already purchased a license?
- How can I purchase the product?
- Are there any hidden costs?
- Can I get a proforma invoice prior to the order?
- Will I get an invoice?
- What are the one time and the monthly costs?
- Can I install the application on two PC's.
- I have installed the software in a temporary machine for testing. When our final machine arrives, I want to transfer my license. Do I have to do a de-activate procedure on the temporary machine?
- What is MPM?
- What is MPS?
- If I have a 20 MPS license, how is this speed distributed between incoming and outgoing messages?
- Do delivery reports effect my message capacity?
- How do multipart SMS messages count in the MPS limit?
- If I have a high capacity license, but a service provider limits the maximum number of messages per minute, what can I do?
- What is a service provider connection?
- What is a user?
- Ultimate Guide to SMS technology
- Installation Guide
- User Guide
- Developers Guide
- Examples and Solutions
- Feature list of Ozeki NG SMS Gateway
If you are insterested in how to setup automated SMS notifications, you should apply one of the following configurations:
SMS through HTTP requests
SMS from E-mail
SMS from the command line
SMS using txt files
If you are a software developer you can proceed to adding SMS functionality to your source code by clicking on one of the following links:
PHP SMS example
C# SMS example
ASP SMS example
SQL SMS example
Delphi SMS example
If you would like to send and receive SMS messages from MS Office applications, please check out the following links:
Send SMS from MS Excel
Send SMS from MS Outlook
Check out Ozeki SMS Client