1.1 SMS basics
- What is SMS?
- Which standardization body is responsible for the SMS standard?
- Why use SMS?
- Is it possible to send a single message to multiplre recipients?
- How can I send longer text? What are concatenated SMS messages?
- What happens if an SMS message is sent to a mobile phone that is offline?
- What is SM-MT (short message - mobile terminated)?
- What is SM-MO (short message - mobile originated)?
- What are the classes of SM-MT (mobile terminated) messages?
1.2 Why is SMS so successful?
- What makes this technology so successful?
- Is this technology successful, because SMS messages can be sent and read at any time?
- Is the SMS technology successful, because it is more polite?
- Is the SMS technology successful, because it is global?
- Is the SMS technology successful, because it can be used by wireless applications?
1.3 Example applications of SMS messaging
- What applications can SMS messaging be used for?
- What is Person-to-Person Text Messaging?
- What is Information Provision?
- SMS messaging for Alerts and Notifications?
1.4 SMS number formats
- What kind of number formats are available for SMS?
- What is a short code?
- What is the local number format?
- What is international number format?
- What is a long code number?
- What is the alphanumeric number format?
1.5 Mobile message types
- What kind of messages can I send to a mobile device?
- What kind of SMS message types are available?
- What is an EMS?
- What is an MMS?
- What kind of attachments can I use in an MMS?
- Is it possible to push SyncML setting via your SMS sever to mobile phones?
- What is an SMSC?
- Can I operate my own SMSC?
- Do I have to pay for SMS messages if I operate my own SMSC?
- Can I connect to the SMSC of a mobile network operator (MNO)?
- Can I connect to the SMSC of a mobile network operator through SS7?
- Is there anyway using any ozeki product to do HLR Lookup to see if numbers exist before sending text?
1.7 SMS Gateway
- What is an SMS Gateway?
- How does an SMS gateway communicate with the mobile network?
- Who are using SMS Gateways?
- What other functionalities are provided by an SMS gateway?
- Do I have to pay for SMS if I have my own SMS Gateway?
1.8 Two way SMS systems
- What is a two way SMS system?
- When a mobile user replies to my SMS, can I tell which message did he originally reply to?
- Can I use keywords to match replies to submitted messages?
- Can I use long codes to match replies to submitted messages?
- Are there any threats with autoresponding systems?
- Can I query a database and return data in a response SMS?
- Can I return a webpage if I receive a certain keyword?
2. Installation and configuration
- What is the minimum hardware requirement for the PC I will use to run the software?
- What is the recommended hardware for the PC I will use to run the software?
- What is the recommended Operating System?
- Does Ozeki NG support 64bit operating systems?
- What are the software requirements?
- Is there any additional software required?
- Do I need a dedicated server?
- Can I run it in my office, or do I need to place it into a server hosting facility?
- Does the software require a database server? Does it require any database connectivity drivers, such as ODBC drivers?
- Can I use Ozeki NG and Ozeki Message Server 6 on the same computer with the same GSM modem at the same time?
- Can I use Ozeki NG and Ozeki Message Server 6 on the same computer with two modems?
- Will the software run on a Virtual Machine, such as VMWare, Microsoft Virtual PC?
- Which phone models/GSM modems do you recommend?
2.2 Network requirements
- Do I need Internet connection to operate Ozeki NG SMS Gateway?
- Do I need a public IP address?
- Do I need a fix IP address for the SMS Gateway?
- Can I use a leased line connect to my mobile operator, instead of an Internet connection?
- How much bandwidth do I need on my Internet connection?
- Can I use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection?
- My Internet connection is not reliable. Will this be a problem?
- Can I use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection?
- What kind of communication ports and protocols are used? Should I open any ports on my firewall?
- Does the SMS gateway require a fixed IP address or is there any way dynamic address can be used and how?
- Ozeki NG SMS Gateway uses the http://127.0.0.1:9501 address. Can I change this to my IP address?
2.3 General information
- Does the software run as a Windows Service?
- The software runs as a windows service by default. Is there a way to run it as an application?
- What kind of user interface is available in the software?
- What is the default username and password?
- Can I access the web based user interface remotely?
2.4 Message routing
- What is SMS routing?
- What is outbound SMS routing and how can I use it?
- What is inbound SMS routing and how can I use it?
- How can I send SMS messages reliably to different global destinations?
- Is there any way I can tell if an incoming SMS message is a reply to my previously sent SMS?
- Can I change message parameters during routing?
- How can I reject certain messages starting with a specified telephone number prefix?
- How can I change the recipient field to a fixed mobile number so all texts submitted go to that mobile?
- What happens if the recipient number does not exists?
- What happend if the recipient has switched off his mobile?
2.5 Message types
2.6 Delivery reports
- What is a delivery report?
- Can I adjust how long a message is stored in the SMSC?
- How does Ozeki NG SMS Gateway handle delivery reports?
- How does Ozeki NG SMS Gateway handle delivery reports for multipart SMS messages?
- Why are my delivery reports dropped?
- What can I see in the delivery report registry GUI?
- Can I change the time setting after which messages that got no delivery report are removed from the list?
- How can I reset the delivery report registry queue?
- The delivery report (onMessageDeliveryFailed) is retrieved for every failed attempt or is just retrieved when the max number of tries is reached?
- Is it possible to store the incoming SMS delivery reports into SQL?
- If I send SMS from a GSM modem, the GSM protocol allows a max. number of 256 callback id's for delivery reports. How do you distinguish delivery reports that have the same id.
- Delivery reports are coming in as SMS messages to my system. When I configure my connection for sending only, will it dismiss my delivery reports?
- How does the inbound routing table effect the incoming delivery reports?
3. SMS service provider (SMSC) connectivity
3.1 GSM Modem
- What is a GSM modem?
- What GSM modem do you suggest for using with Ozeki NG SMS Gateway?
- Can I install multiple modems in Ozeki NG?
- Can I connect a GSM modem over IP to the software?
- Can I change the sender phone number if I use a GSM Modem?
- Can I send SMS messages through more than one service providers?
- Is your gateway fully compatible with Huawei hardware SMSCs?
- When I try to submit a message, I receive an error. What can be the reason?
- I can send SMS, but I cannot receive with my modem. Why?
- What is an SMPP connection?
- How can I use SMPP to send/receive SMS messages?
- What kind of parameters do I need to connect to an SMPP service provider?
- What is an SMPP transmitter connection?
- What is an SMPP receiver connection?
- What is an SMPP transceiver connection?
- Can I become an SMPP service provider
- Which SMPP version is the most common?
- What is SIM hosting and how is it related to SMPP?
- Can I become a SIM hosting provider?
- Can I define a unique service type parameter for each message?
3.3 IP SMS protocols
- What is an CIMD2 connection?
- What is an UCP/EMI connection?
- What is an HTTP connection?
- What is an SMTP connection?
4. SMS Application connectivity (APIs)
4.2 SQL to SMS
- What is an SQL database?
- Can I save incoming SMS messages (sender address, message text, timestamp) in a database server (MySQL/MSSQL)?
- We would like to specify different sender mobile numbers for outgoing messages. Is it possible to do it in the SQL tables to assign the sender mobile number?
- I would like to use one database for many "database users". Is this possible?
4.3 HTTP to SMS
- If I uninstall a user named "AAA" then try to create a new user also named "AAA" the system tells me "AAA" already exists, even if it has been uninstalled. How do I delete these uninstalled users definitively?
- Why changes in the physical configuration files are not reflected in the web Admin interface?
- Why sometimes do I get a message from my HTTP client user that says it could not resolve the name corresponding to the URL it is calling?
4.4 E-mail to SMS
- Can I forward a single e-mail to many SMS numbers?
- Can I forward an incoming SMS to many e-mail addresses?
- Can the software download e-mails from POP3 accounts and forward them as SMS messages?
- Does the software have escalation capability? In more detail, can we create a script by a specific keyword in incoming email with the following rule: "Forward SMS to 1st Number, wait for the response within specific time: 3 minutes. If there is no response, forward SMS to 2nd Number, wait for the Response within specific time: 3 minutes, ... up to 10 numbers."?
- Does the software support secure SSL based POP3 connections for downloading e-mail?
- Does the software support Secure SSL based SMTP connections?
- If I create 500 e-mail to SMS Accounts and Ozeki is set to pick up e-mail from 500 different POP3 e-mail accounts (email@example.com) every 90 seconds - What will be the impact on the system?
- If my SMTP server requires authentication, can I specify my SMTP username and password?
- Is the following number format supported: +firstname.lastname@example.org?
- Is the software able to get email (Pop3) and send (SMTP) with clear from headers/footers/attachments codes only first 160 characters that will send to SMS?
- Is there filtering capability by specific keyword on incoming email?
- Is there filtering capability by specific keyword on incoming SMS?
- When the built in SMTP server is used, which user account will send the messages?
5. Maintenance and management
- How can I configure an SMS gateway for best performance?
- How can I handle unreliable service provider connections?
- How can I increase the capacity of an IP-SMS service provider connection?
- How can I increase the reliability of this SMS gateway?
- Can I set credit limits for each client / each user?
- How do you set daily and monthly message throughput limits for SMPP Clients and other users (SQL user, E-mail users, etc.)?
- If you have 1000 SMPP Clients or other users (SQL users, E-mail users) connected, how do you control the various message queues? That is, how many messages to send from each queue in turn?
- Does your gateway support clustering over multiple servers and how does it occur?
- What is the scalability schema of the software?
- I have a database user in the system, and the logging is slow at times, the events appear in the log with some delay. Why? How can I fix this issue?
- What is the recommended database server for SQL logging?
- Any configuration lost after making any restarts? What can I do about this?
- There are errors with the error code 1365 in the log, and the messages cannot be sent. Why?
- Can I create reports and statistics from the data of sent messages?
- Can I maintain a log of all sent and received messages in an SQL Server?
- Does the software provide a way that limits the maximum number of messages a user can send?
6. Commercial questions
6.1 Trial version
- Is there any test account or trial software?
- What are the differences between the trial and full versions?
- Why does the software still send messages with the text "Ozeki SMS Trial" despite I already purchased a license?
- How can I purchase the product?
- Are there any hidden costs?
- Can I get a proforma invoice prior to the order?
- Will I get an invoice?
- What are the one time and the monthly costs?
- Can I install the application on two PC's.
- I have installed the software in a temporary machine for testing. When our final machine arrives, I want to transfer my license. Do I have to do a de-activate procedure on the temporary machine?
- What is MPM?
- What is MPS?
- If I have a 20 MPS license, how is this speed distributed between incoming and outgoing messages?
- Do delivery reports effect my message capacity?
- How do multipart SMS messages count in the MPS limit?
- If I have a high capacity license, but a service provider limits the maximum number of messages per minute, what can I do?
- What is a service provider connection?
- What is a user?